Family Mediation Costs
Able Mediation Charges and Payment Terms:
If you are eligible for Legal Aid, your mediation fees will be covered by the Legal Aid Agency and therefore be free for you. If your former partner is not eligible for Legal Aid, they will still benefit from your eligibility by getting their assessment meeting and first joint mediation session paid for by the Legal Aid Agency. Thereafter, they will have to pay fees privately as outlined below.
Fees for privately paying clients are charged separately, per person.
Appointment fees are payable 2 full working days in advance of the appointment.
Summary / documentation fees are due in advance of the mediator starting work on the document/s.
Our preferred method of payment is bank transfer. Bank details will be emailed to you when we confirm your appointment.
Mediation Information Assessment Meetings (also known as MIAMs):
- Individual assessment – £120.00 per person
- Joint assessment – £100.00 per person
Joint Mediation Sessions:
- Mediation sessions are charged at £120.00 per person, per hour. Sessions are 90 minutes long, unless agreed otherwise beforehand. Therefore a normal session costs £180.00 per person.
- Child Inclusive sessions , for the child/children, are offered free of charge as part of our social mission.
Summary / Documentation fees:
Unless otherwise discussed and agreed with you prior to work being undertaken, we charge set fees for these, as follows:
- Mediation summary fees – £150.00 per person, per summary. Mediation summaries include the following:
- Memorandum of Understanding, which is a confidential document to record background information, joint proposals and guiding principals.
- Open Financial Summary, which records the details of any financial disclosure undertaken in mediation.
- Other mediation document fees – £100.00 per person, per document. Other mediation documentation includes the following:
- Outcome Statement, which is a confidential document which records joint proposals and guiding principals.
- Interim Proposal, which is a confidential document to facilitate consultation with your personal advisor/s.
- For the cancellation of sessions without charge, we require 7 full days notice.
- For cancellation with less than 7 days notice we charge 50 per cent of the appointment fee/s.
- For on the day cancellations, we charge the full fee/s.
- Please note that for joint sessions this means the full fees for both. The client that has requested cancellation usually pays this.
We do not routinely charge for telephone calls, letters or other administrative duties outside of meeting times. However, further fees may be charged if the mediator is required to do considerable work in addition to normal case preparation. This may include reading reports, extraordinary case preparation or consultation with other professionals outside of session times. Generally additional time will be charged by the hour at the same rate as the mediation session fee. However, we will inform and agree charges with you beforehand.
Overall mediation cost estimates:
It is difficult to estimate overall costs because this depends on how many sessions it will take to resolve the dispute. The amount of sessions will be determined by how able parties are to focus on the issues and come to joint proposals. The following estimates provide a guide only:
- Children issues only: 2 sessions of 90 minutes, which would be equal to 3 hours of mediation time. Therefore, overall costs per person might be as follows: assessment meeting (£120), plus 2 sessions (£360), plus an outcome statement, if needed (£100) = £580 per person.
- Child inclusive mediation: 2 sessions of 90 minutes, which would be equal to 3 hours of mediation time, plus one child inclusive session. Therefore, overall costs per person might be as follows: assessment meeting (£120), plus 2 sessions (£360), child inclusive session (free), plus an outcome statement, if needed (£100) = £580 per person.
- Property and finance issues only: 4 sessions of 90 minutes, which would be equal to 6 hours of mediation time. Therefore, overall costs per person might be as follows: assessment meeting (£120), plus 4 sessions (£720), plus an open financial summary (£150), plus a memorandum of understanding (£150) = £1140 per person.
- All issues mediation (children and property/finance): 5 sessions of 90 minutes, which would be equal to 7.5 hours of mediation time. Therefore, overall costs per person might be as follows: assessment meeting (£120), plus 5 sessions (£900), plus an open financial summary (£150), plus a memorandum of understanding (£150) = £1320 per person.
Potential costs of proceeding to court:
The Mediation Quality Mark Standard requires us to provide all our clients with information about the potential costs of proceeding to court rather than mediation. Because solicitors fees vary greatly it is difficult to estimate. However, as a guide, to go to court on a contested matter you may expect to pay upwards of £10,000.00 per person, per matter. Therefore, if the issues included both children and finances the starting point would be nearer to £20,000.00 per person, accounting for the two separate legal matters.
We do not charge VAT.